Well, the chikungunya virus had us down and out for a few days unfortunately ... so we were not able to have our first Music Studio class on Saturday! We are rescheduling it for today or tomorrow. Our plan is to teach some of the children part of Three Little Birds by Bob Marley ... stay tuned for the video!!
The heat here in July is HOT! There are some days we "escape" to the mountain top because it is simply too hot to be down here in the valley (the vialet)!!
Below is a pic of some of the "mountain" children with their new dollies! Many thanks go out to LifeClinic Haiti for making these dolls available to us to bring to the little angels in Petit Goave ... they LOVED them!!!
July 31, 2014
Many, many apologies for the lack of blog posts as promised to many ... it has been a very crazy two weeks with many ups and downs. We have been busy doing a lot of things here in Petit Goave. Here is a short summary of some of the activities and events we have been busy with.
- handing out toys, sunglasses, sunhats and sandals to some of the locals in our village (an event that spans several days as there are those that live in various locales spread out, including those that live "in the mountain" ... a five hour walk for those without a moto!!)
- visiting some farmers working hard in the fields (planting pistache) and giving them some much needed sunhats (they LOVED them!)
- attended a local soccer game - "there is nothing to do here" so having a soccer tournament held here is a HUGE deal ... one young man didn't have shoes so he was unable to play with his teammates - we didn't realize this on the day of the tournament or we would have stepped in sooner, but he now has shoes and won't have to sit on the sidelines anymore!!
- we visited the local school operated by Maurissen Elephet (about a five minute moto ride from home) - we will be having our art/music classes in one of the classrooms on Saturday mornings - FIRST CLASS WILL BE THIS SATURDAY AT 4:00!!
Some of the funny and fabulous life experiences that have happened too ...
- three of us driving on a moto late one night on a dark highway ... not realizing before we left that the moto didn't have a light ... we had to hold up the Flashlight Apps on our cell phones so the driver could see where he was going!
- asking to use the bathroom when in a downtown cafe one night - I was led into a washroom where two woman were also there having a bath! - makes some great conversation!! LOL
- having access to very little water where we are living we sometimes go for a day or so without a shower - one afternoon there was a HUGE downpour so I decided to make the best of it and had a shower (did I mention it was raining HARD?!) standing outside in the middle of the storm ... what a fabulous experience!!
- learning that you never tell a Haitian to "take your time"! LOL
- that many, many things here "have a little problem" whether it is the generator, the power, the moto etc. ... I must hear "the _______ has a little problem" at least once a day!! LOL
Sunset in downtown Petit Goave ... breathtaking!!
STAY TUNED ... MORE TO COME!! ONE LOVE CANADA!!
July 11, 2014
TWO MORE SLEEPS!! This Sunday I leave Canada to return to my home in Petit Goave to reconnect with the rest of the New Life team and family!!
Suitcase #1 is packed and ready to go! I wish I could bring truckloads of dolls, musical instruments, toys, clothing etc. ... Lof and I will keep the dream alive and one day soon it won't be just a suitcase arriving with supplies, but a whole boat load!! See you on Monday Haiti!! ~ Mary